Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Chicken, Fennel and Sage Soup with Gruyere croutons

INGREDIENTS
1T olive oil
1 brown onion, thinly sliced
1/4C sage leaves
2L chicken stock
300g bulb fennel, thinly sliced
360g store-brought cooked chicken, meat shredded

Gruyere Croutons
8 slices sourdough bread
8 sage leaves
200g grated Gruyere cheese

METHOD
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook for a further 10 mins or until softened.  Add the sage and cook for 1 minute.  Add the stock, bring to the boil and cook for 5 mins.  Add the fennel, chicken, salt and pepper, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.  To make the croutons, place the bead on a baking tray and top with sage and cheese.  Place under preheated grill and grill for 3-4 mins until cheese has melted.   Serve soup with croutons.

COMMENTS
The first night I made this, I thought 'yep its quite nice but...' it was a bit lacking in flavour, only because it doesn't sit on the stove all day long developing flavours.  However, I ate the left over soup the next night for dinner and the flavour had really developed and I loved it!  My mouth is salivating just thinking about making it again... and as for the croutons, I could eat them for lunch on their own.

Source:  Donna Hay Magazine, Jun/Jul 2011

No comments: