Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Shepherds Pie

INGREDIENTS
1T oil
1 onion chopped
500g lean beef mince
2T plain flour
2T tomato sauce
1T chutney or relish (I used 'No Shortcuts' tamarillo chutney)
3/4C beef stock
3 potatoes chopped
1T butter
1T finely chopped onion
1/2C grated tasty cheese
salt and pepper to taste

METHOD
Heat oil in a large frying pan.  Add onion and cook until clear.  Add mince and cook until well browned, stirring constantly.  Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.  Add tomato, chutney and stock.  Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins.  Set aside.
Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.  Drain and heat for a few minutes to dry off excess moisture.  Shake pan frequently during this time.  Mash potato.  Add butter, onion and half the cheese, mixing until smooth and creamy.  Season with salt and pepper.  Put mince into pie dish.  Top with potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese.   Bake at 190C for 20 min or until golden and heated through.

TIP
I found the flavour a little too fruity, therefore added about 1T of marmite (vegemite).

ELLA-ometre  Ate it all up without complaint.  I didn't actually like the flavour that much myself, so was surprised that she ate it.

ZACH-ometre Zach ate about 8 bites (even had some of the potato, and he typically doesn't like mashed potato. 

Source:  Based on the Edmonds Cookery Book

No comments: