Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Pasta with Tomato and Mascarpone Sauce

INGREDIENTS
1tsp olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
30g carrot
30g courgette
15g celery
1 garlic clove, crushed
50g button mushrooms
400g passata or chopped tinned tomatoes
1/2 tsp sugar
2T torn basil leaves, optional
100g mascarpone cheese
200g pasta

METHOD
Heat oil in saucepan and saute the onion, carrot, courgette and celery for 5 mins.  Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.  Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 mins.  Stir in the passata and sugar and simmer for 10 mins with lid on, stirring occasionaly. 
Remove from heat, add the basil and blend in a food processor.  Return to the pan and add the mascapone cheese.  Stir until melted and simmer for 1-2 mins.  Season to taste. 
In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.  Drain and toss with sauce.

TIP
I used some of the leftover sauce in the childrens Quesadillas, which I made the following night. Yum.

ELLA-ometre   She really enjoyed this,  and therefore took some to school for lunch the next day - although with only a small portion of sauce, as she found it rich.

ZACH-ometre  I think he had about 2 bites.  He seems to have gone off anything thats pasta - but he had no problems with it in his quesadillas!

Source:  Annabel Karmel, The Fussy Eaters Recipe Book

No comments: