Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Dark Chocolate and Caramel Puddings

INGREDIENTS
1x 380g can store-brought caramel
1/3C double (thick) cream
200g dark chocolate, chopped
60g butter
3 eggs
1/2C brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2C almond meal
cocoa for dusting

METHOD
Preheat oven to 200C.  Place the caramel in a bowl and whisk until smooth.  Add the cream and mix well to combine.  Place 1/3 cup of the caramel mixture in the base of 4x 1 1/2 cup capacity ovenproof dishes.  Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.  Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 min or until double in size.  Fold the chocolate mixture and almond meal through the egg mixture and divide between the dishes.  Place on a baking tray and bake for 18-20 mins or until risen and the centres are soft.  Stand for 5 mins.  Dust with coca and serve with fresh cream or ice cream.

COMMENT
We thought this was going to be too rich.  My 85 year old Grandfather said he would have a bite but couldn't possibly eat it..... he ate the whole thing!  In fact I was the only one of 6 who couldn't quite get to the bottom of the bowl, even though I tried my best.  Will definitely make it again. 

Source:  Donna Hay magazine, Jun/July 2011 issue

No comments: