Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Annabels Secret Tomato Sauce

INGREDIENTS
1T olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2 leek, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 red pepper
1/2 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 medium courgette, chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
150ml  vegetable stock
1 1/2T tomato puree
1 1/2T sun-dried tomato paste
1 tsp caster sugar
1T torn basil leaves, optional
salt and pepper to taste

METHOD
Heat oil in a large fry pan and saute the onion and leek for approx 3 mins, stirring occasionally.  Add the garlic and saute for 1 min.  Add the red pepper, carrot and courgette, and cook for a further 3 mins.  Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato puree, paste and castor sugar - stir for approx 1 min.  Simmer uncovered for 25-30 mins, stirring occasionally until thickened.  Stir in the basil leaves if using.  Transfer to a blender and blitz sauce to a puree.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

TIP
I usually do a double mixture of this so I always have some in the freezer.  I also like to freeze some in ice-cube trays, so that I can easily thaw a small portion if I need it for something like my Kids Quesadillas.

Source:  Annabel Karmel, The Fussy Eaters Recipe Book

No comments: